Note: Counseling positions require a masters degree in marriage and family therapy, clinical social work, professional counseling, mental health counseling, etc.
Things you can do in MFT/ Intervention:
Therapy in mental health centers, hospitals, university counseling centers, employee assistance programs, in-patient, and outpatient treatment centers for psychiatric disorders and addictions, wilderness therapy programs, private agency counseling centers, private practice.
Recommended SFL Emphasis: Family Studies or Human Development
Recommended elective courses:
- SFL 333 Adolescent Development
- SFL 334 Adult Development & Aging
- SFL 335 Family Adaptation and Resilience
- SFL 330 Pre-MFT Professional Seminar
- SFL 465 Survey of Marriage and Family Enrichment/Therapy Approaches
- PSYH 220 Human Development over the Life Span
- PSYH 342 Abnormal Psychology
- HLTH 436 Sexuality Education
- ENG 315 Writing in the Social Sciences
MS required? Yes. A masters degree in MFT or some other clinical program is needed in all states.
Ph.D. required? No. A doctoral degree in MFT or some other clinical program is not needed in any state. However, a Ph.D. allows for deeper training and specialization that may be valuable in some clinical work.
Alumni Spotlight: Ben Oviatt Weinheimer (Youth Outpatient Therapist)
Alumni Spotlight: KayLee Dunn (Mental Health Therapist)